JAPAN








"The Land of the Rising Sun"







Monday, May 23, 2011

How will I communicate?

Since I will be in Tokyo for several days I began to wonder how would I communicate with my family & friends while I am there. Then I questioned if my cell phone would work while I am there. I found out that my cell phone will not work in Japan due to different technologies. However, I may rent a cell phone, purchase a magnetic phone card or use public phone. I will chose to rent a cell phone once I arrive, this seems like the easiest option since I am already accustomed to using a cell phone everyday here in the states.

You can make a direct international telephone call from your home or from designated public telephone without signing a contract with a long-distance company. Access codes, rates, services, and discounts differ depending on the international telephone phone company you use.
Calling Japan from the United States explained:
011 - US exit code; must be dialed first for all international calls made from the USA or Canada
81 - country code for Japan            
area code - 1 - 5 digit codes
phone number - 4 - 8 digits; area code + phone number total 9 digits for landlines
Area code for Tokyo - 3

If you are calling from a land line and are registered with "My Line":
Dial 010+ country code + phone number with area code minus the first zero
*For example calling the US from Japan with MY Line you would dial 010-1-646-555-1234
If you are calling from a land line or public pay phone and are not registered with "My Line":
Dial Carrier Code + 010+ country code + phone number with area code minus the first zero
NTT Communications - 0033
KDDI - 001
Softbank Telecom - 0041
* For example calling the US from Japan with Softbank Telecom you would dial 0041-010-1-646-555-1234
Calling international from a mobile phone
Depending upon your mobile contract pre-registration may be required
Carrier Code + 010+ country code + phone number with area code minus the first zero
DOCOMO - 009310
AU - 005345
Softbank - no code required
Willcom - no code required
Country Codes
US / Canada 1
Need to find a phone that will work in Japan without parting with lots of cash? We recommend Softbank as being one of the cheapest providers with good options for temporary stays in Tokyo.
Full list available here: http://countrycode.org/

Source(s): http://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/dailylivi…
http://www.iwami.or.jp/fudoplan/first-t

No comments:

Post a Comment